Saturday

Trickster Ring

Moving on down the line, the next ring on my finger everyday is the beautiful gold and white gold ring that my parents gave me for my 21st birthday.  It is so so special to me, as my mom has the same ring, and my grandma and aunts also have jewelry made by the same artist coast salish artist, Dean Larden. Not only do I love this ring because of the way it links me to my other female relatives, but also because I have mad love for Canada,  and I'm really proud to wear a piece by a local native artist that represents a bit of our country's history.

My ring is carved with the raven, the "trickster" in the mythology of many of Canada's first nations peoples.  According to the Haida creation story, raven is the one who unleashed humankind into the universe when he cracked open a clamshell.

This stunning Bill Reid piece is housed at UBC's Museum of Anthropology

While the raven enjoys stirring shit up, he has also done some good for humanity, stealing us the sun, moon and starts from the Sky Chief, and getting us salmon.  Good job, trickster.

You can't see the detail very well in this pic, but trust me- its a gorgeous ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment