Friday

The Summer Days are Gone too Soon

This is the song that goes along with this post:





From head to toe, I've been sharing with your my everyday pretties- my daith piercing and my tattoos, my 3 favourite rings, and finally- my friendship anklets.

I can't tell you how much trouble these get me in with some people.  My mother especially can't stand that I insist on wearing them even with formal gowns and fancy high-heeled shoes.  Once, my choir director made me take them off for a folk song competition in which we were dancing and not wearing shoes (If you want a laugh, look no further than here), claiming they would "stick out" too much.  He promised to keep them in his suit pocket and give them back- it was the only way I'd take them off.  If you know him, you won't be surprised to hear I didn't get them back.

Since that summer in 2004 (yes choir nerds, the vid is from 2008 though), I have never taken off an anklet.  I wear them til they break off, and to sentimental ol' me, they are more then knotted embroidery thread- they are keepers of memory.  Typically friendship bracelets are GIVEN in a show of friendship, and yes, I mess with this tradition in that I make them for myself.  That said, every anklet I wear has a buddy, or buddies, somewhere else, and that speaks friendship to me.

Those of you who follow my lit blog know of my love affair with Kosh Lake, and my cottage summers. These friendship anklets are a huge staple of my summers there, and it comforts me to know that I hold a little piece of my cottage buddies, and other best friends across the country (I'm looking at you, Karley and Lisa), with me throughout the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment